Where I live, our state is going into the second week of social distancing. Last weekI filled my time with making masks. This week I am joining Bonnie Hunter’s Sew-in-Place Unity Quilt Along. A new part of the quilt will be posted each Monday. If you haven’t seen the post over on her Facebook page but would like to be a part of it, all the directions are on her blog under the tab “Unity Quilt Along.” Here’s the link: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/unity-quilt-along.html.
Owning the AccuQuilt cutter and dies, I decided to figure out what AccuQuilt dies I could use with my Go Big to cut my fabric. I thought it would be helpful to share what I am using to make my quilt. I do not own all the wonderful dies they make but have found that as long as I have a die with the size piece I need for a particular block, I can use it.
Part 1: For this week’s blocks:
2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ rectangle I am using die #55159 which has two rectangles the correct size. (Studio die – #50130)
2 1/2″ x 2 1/2 “ squares – You have options for making these squares. You can use your 2 1/2″ strip die or if you have the bow-tie die # 55413 it has 4 – 2 1/2″ squares and a very useful die. (I also saw that there’s a Studio die #50603 that you can use if you own the Studio Cutter.)
I like to mark my dies with a permanent marker. I outline the blade area for easier placement of fabric for cutting. I also write the size of the blocks on the foam. This makes it easier for me to see at a glance if the block has the size I need.
What I’ve learned so far just making the first 8 rectangles, read and re-read Bonnie’s directions to make sure you are sewing the rectangle & squares together in the correct direction. My first mistake with the rectangle was my direction on the squares. I ended up making 4 flying geese rectangles. They are now sitting in a box with the triangle pieces cut off the block. After I figured out what I was doing wrong, I thought I was moving along well until I started sewing the rectangles together and realized I had sewn my blue squares in the wrong direction. The middle picture shows my mistake and the picture on the right shows how the middle of the block was suppose to be made.
I did get my block completed. The only part I had to cut with the rotary cutter was the 1 1/2″ strips. I do not have the strip die. It’s on my list to get in the future.
Another part that was different for me in making this block was pressing the seams open instead of to one side. It does make a difference.
I’m excited for next Monday and what Part #2 will have in store. There is still time to join in on the Unity Quilt Along. Would love to see your color combinations and pictures. Please share in the comments.
If you are interested in the AccuQuilt dies I used I will have the links below.